If you are planning to organise a Charity Firewalk, you have come to the right place. This short guide will give you all the information you need to:
- Create a fun event for your supporters
- Increase awareness of your Charity
- Raise money for your Charity
Organise a Charity Firewalk in 6 Easy Steps
Check! You have already completed this step by deciding to organise a Charity Firewalk.
Contact a company that specialises in the delivery of Firewalking Events in your area. You have kind of done that already as we have Firewalk Teams in Ireland, England and Scotland as well as partners in most corners of the globe.
Find a venue. The venue should have:
- An indoor space where the participants can be prepared before the Firewalk. This should be a private room, with no distractions, and seats for everyone taking part.
- An outdoor area where the Firewalk will take part. The ground needs to be flat and clear of debris such as stones, etc. The area should be open and not too close to trees or anything flammable. You will need to let the Firewalking Company know what the surface is like so they can protect it.
Venues are often very supportive towards Charity Events so be sure to let them know what you are planning. They may wish to speak to the Firewalking Company who should be able to alleviate any concerns and provide copies of Risk Assessments and Insurance.
Agree a date with the venue and Firewalking Company, while considering the following:
- Firewalks are much better when it is dark and the embers are glowing. Firewalking is possible all year round in the UK and Ireland although, September through to May are great months as it is dark earlier.
- Give yourself enough time to recruit your fundraisers. We have provided Firewalks with only a few days’ notice but most Firewalks allow a 6-week lead-in time.
Marketing and recruitment. Now that the main preparations are done, it’s time to spread the word about your Charity Firewalk and get people signed up. We recommend:
- Make the most of Social Media and Word of Mouth.
- Speak to your Firewalk Company and ask them for advice and media that you use.
- Get deposits from all those people who say they will walk on fire with you.
We provide charities with loads of advice and materials to support them as they recruit for their Firewalk which complement these articles:
You have arrived! It’s Firewalking night! We will share another article soon on what you can expect on the night of your Charity Firewalk.